- 200g sugar [minus] 3 tbsp
- 3 MEDIUM ripened bananas
- 2 medium eggs
- 80 ml milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 140g unsalted butter
How to ripen bananas:
Put oven to 200 degrees Celsius and onto a tray place your bananas
Leave the bananas in the oven until black on one side.
Take out of the oven and turn the bananas over, put them back in the oven until they become dark brown on this side.
Remove from the oven and let the bananas cool down. The remaining heat will ripen the bananas even more so they look like charcoal. DON'T BE ALARMED IT'S A GOOD THING! :)
BAKERS TIP: Make sure you know what size bananas you are using! This is crucial for a good not too moist banana cake! Make sure your bananas [in this case] are medium size. Too much bananas added can potentially destroy your cake.
How to make the cake:
- Blend the bananas in a food processor along with your eggs and milk ( the milk just helps make the mixture smooth so if you want lumps of banana in there don't add the milk here).
- Once your mixture is at the right constancy add in the vanilla extract and continue to process for another 10 seconds. Set aside.
- Mix your flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together until combined. Place into a mixing bowl and add the sugar. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Next, add in your butter [you can cube it if preferred] and mix in with the flour until the butter is fully mixed in.
- Add half of your banana mixture to the flour and butter mixture and mix. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add in the other half and mix for a further 1 and 1 half minutes this develops the structure of the cake. Don't skip this step.
- Bake in an oven set to 170 degrees Celsius and bake for 40 - 1 hr 10 minutes, checking at the 45 minute mark.
- Once done transfer to a serving plate and serve.
I like my banana cake completely cool so if your like me, leave to cool for 15 - 25 minutes. Leave overnight for best results, the hard crust that formed over the top of the cake whilst it was in the oven softened and it was so sweet, tasteful and delicious~!