- 395 g sifted cake flour
- 1tsp g baking soda
- Pinch salt (I did add salt)
- 4 egg whites
- 300 g white sugar
- 170 g butter (homemade butter for the WIN)
- 235 ml buttermilk
- 5 ml vanilla extract
What to do:
0.5) Preheat your oven to 200* celcius. A hot oven cooks this cake better!
1) Add your egg whites into a bowl and mix until just below the soft peak stage. Add in 1/3 of your sugar.
2) In a seperate bowl mix flour and remaining sugar into the bowl. Whish until incorporated.
3) Add vanilla extract to your buttermilk and set aside. Pour melted butter into the flour mixture and half the buttermilk. Mix until well combined. Also add half of the egg whites, and using a spatula gently fold. Try as hard as you can not to loose the air in the batter. Do this until all of your egg whites and buttermilk are in the batter.
4) equally seperate your batter between two loaf tins and bake in your oven for 30 - 45 minutes. Leave to cool and serve! YUM.
Bakers tip: As always to dheck for doneness insert a skewer or toothpick in the center and if it comes out just as it was before you put it in the cake, it's done!
This cake is going to brown A LOT. So don't worry. It's not burnt unless it is black.