450g SWB flour / self-raising
1 beaten egg
225ml milk (heated)
1 tbsp yeast
4 tbsp + 1 tbsp sugar
80g raisins, ect
Glaze (of some sort..):
- Add sugar and yeast to heated milk. Leave it to activate.
- Meanwhile, combine the (optional) spice and remaining sugar. Mix well to combine.
- Pour in activated yeast mixture and stir until a ball of dough forms.
- Turn it out onto a floured surface and work until soft and elastic. Place in the bowl used to mix and leave in warm place to proof/rise.
- Once risen, turn onto a surface and knock back the air. Knead for a further minute. Add the raisins (ect) and knead into the dough.
- Separate into sections and roll into balls. Place onto a baking sheet, close together and pipe the crosses. Bake in the oven for 10 - 15 minutes or until the top is golden but the crosses maintain their colour.
- Brush with orange marmalade mixed with some hot water to give a sticky top. Enjoy!